Making music fun in east anglia
Policy For Child Protection and Safeguarding Tutors in Brass Bands
THE MARTLESHAM BRASS BAND
Note: in this text, the term 'Tutor' will refer to any person authorised by the band to assist or to be solely responsible for the teaching of the child: the 'band-room' will refer to any premises in which the band rehearses: 'the Band' will refer to the band named at the head of this policy. 'Child' is defined as any young person under the age of eighteen years. 'Child Protection' applies to any child within the Senior Band or any Youth Band that the Band operates.
1. The person immediately responsible for Child Protection within the Band shall be the Tutor lecturing at any given time.
2. The person ultimately responsible for Child Protection within the Band shall be the appointed management officer with an appropriate background.
3. The Band will follow SafeCIC guidelines and will ensure all Tutors have up-to-date training and that their DBS certificates are checked yearly.
4. Before being appointed, all Tutors within the Band are thoroughly investigated for any offence against Children. the investigations carried out are as follows:-
An Application Form is completed which requests fulI details of previous positions held with other bands and a signed disclaimer.
Referee's reports from the applicants previous bands are sought.
An interview by the Main Committee.
5. If satisfactory reports are received, the applicant may be appointed on an initial probationary period of six months, during which time the person ultimately responsible for Child Protection within the band wilI monitor the teaching methods of the Tutor.
6. The Band has a 'no touch' policy for Tutors when training the Children.
7. Tutors should not teach on a 'one to one' basis.
8. Tutors are instructed to attend rehearsals properly dressed and not to wear any attire that may be misconstrued or deemed provocative or of an embarrassing nature.
9. Children are required to attend rehearsals properly dressed and may be refused entry to the band-room if the Tutor is not satisfied with their attire.
10. The Band has ensured that there are adequate toilet facilities at the band-room for both males and females.
11. Where Martlesham Brass has arranged for photographs or videos to be taken of children in the band we will refer to the preferences recorded for that child from the parents or carers before these are published